The product I am reviewing, is an item that many people believe, is only accessible to the large manufacturing or baking companies.
It is the edible printer.
It still amazes me today, how many people have not yet heard of, let alone used, this product in their cake creations.
For me, it is my ‘dirty little secret’ or my ‘guilty little pleasure’, because within the cake artistry world, it is almost like purposefully cheating.
Of course, I love to create, using any type of cake artistry media, and I like to make my creations from scratch, but there are, rare moments in my life, when I am just too lazy to decorate.
I am human, after all.
This is, when I utilise a product or service, to make cake artistry a little easier and much faster, without diminishing the quality of outcome.
I would like to show you in this product review, how, having an edible printer gives me the capacity to create spectacular cake artistry, with my own images.
It is not my intention to prove how good this product really is, but to give you enough information to decide for yourself, whether it is useful for you, or not.
Reasons For Using a Quality Edible Printer to Enhance My Cake Artistry
If you do not have an edible printer and think that, it is too expensive or you will not have that much use for it, then I will give you my reasons, for why having a good quality edible printer, is going to be worth it, in the long run:
- It Saves time
– Images can be created on the computer, printed immediately, and pasted straight on to the covered cake.
– No need to order online and wait for one sheet of printing to arrive 4 to 7 days (sometimes arriving after it is needed).
– It is there, it is available.
- It Saves money
– No need to buy any extra decorating stuff.
– Saves me from having to pay shipping costs for just one sheet of A4 (costs $20 per sheet + freight $15 = $35 in total!! for just one lousy edible sheet!). See where I am going with this?
- You are in control
– Sometimes, what I ordered from a shop, does not look anything like I wanted it to be, and then I have to re-order or change my design (this always sucks big time, when I am running out of time).
- It Looks Professional
– Images are sharp and clear – I usually print my letters/text or numbers for a perfectly inscribed look.
– If you have an order from a business/organisation – you can add the logo to a cake.
- Any image can be printed
– I can print my own website/business logos/personal signatures on cupcakes or cakes (to be given to my customers, as a small token of appreciation).
– I can print small quotes or messages for the top of my cakes.
– I can add my children’s pictures on top of their birthday cakes.
– I can add children’s favourite cartoon characters (just note that you may need to consider any copyright, when doing so).
– The images can be printed in either colour or monotones.
– I can create prints and patterns, that is normally traced by hand.
– For those who are not so artistic, you can: print tiny details for toppers,
such as face details for a figurine/model; buttons on a fondant model’s shirt; detailed butterfly or bumble bee wings; toy details, that can be pasted on; details on leaves, petals or, musical notes; and basically anything that you can imagine.
-Printable fondant sheets and rice wafer paper can be used.
– Colours are easier to access and are better matched to what you want.
- Ease of use
Edible paper goes in one end and prints come out the other end, just like a normal document printer.
- Easy to maintain and clean
– It doesn’t take up much room to store.
– It can be cleaned easily with self cleaning products (usually included with a printer bundle/set).
– Additional products can be conveniently re-ordered online, such as fondant sheets, wafer paper and edible ink.
- Quality Products
– You can ensure that all products used are of high quality (more than often the fondant sheets used in a purchased print is not what I anticipated, and fondant is either too thin or too thick).
- Life is sweet!
– An edible printer makes my life, that much easier, and I can use my saved time to ‘chillax’, enjoy coffee and eat cake.
Okay, now you know what the benefits are, in owning your own edible printer.
Would You Like To Know Which Printer I Prefer?
I use a top of the range IcingInks professional edible printer, in creating cake artistry with my own images. It is the current bestseller of its kind,in the market right now.
Kitchen & Dining reviews, has listed the IcingInks professional edible printer package, as one of its top 10 Edible Ink Printers, in 2018.
Including the IcingInks Professional Edible Printer as part of your cake decorating products, will be an added bonus for you. Especially, if you are wanting to run a small baking business from home.
It will add a touch of professionalism to your cake artistry or whatever cake design you create. You can also use it to get some money back by selling your printed toppers to others who do not have their own edible printer.
Product Specifications for the IcingInks Professional Edible Printer Package
Shipping: International and local
Shipping Weight: 28 pounds
Size of the printable fondant paper: Prints up to 8.5″ x 11.7″, (22cm x 28cm)
Guarantee: Lifetime free technical support within USA and 12 months company warantee.
My Ratings: 9.5/10
Items Included: Frosting Sheets, Icing Sheets, Sugar Sheets, Wafer Sheets, Rice Paper, and Chocolate Transfer Sheets Edible Ink Cartridges Canon CLI-271XL/PGI-270XL , worth more than 190 USD
– Set of 5 Edible Cartridges XL Size model name CLI-271XL, PGI-270XL, worth worth more than 65 USD
– Set of 5 Edible Cleaning Cartridges XL Size model name CLI-271XL, PGI-270XL, worth worth more than 65 USD
– Refill Edible Ink 4 Bottles (120ml each bottle of 4 colours), worth worth more than 67 USD
– Injector Refilling tools, worth more than 5 USD
– Pack of 12 Premium Frosting Sheets (Icing Sheets are FDA, Kosher All of the products are made in the USA using high-grade food colouring material), worth more than 25 USD
– Edible Printing Instruction Manuals & Free Life Time Image Editing Designing From IcingInk
– Edible cleaning cartridges, worth more than 68 USD
** Note that the prices quoted are all in USD and may be can changed by Amazon at any time.
Other Price Comparisons
Fishpond sells this same item for almost twice the price it is sold for, in Amazon.
Amazon Customer Star Ratings
4 and a half out of 5 customer review stars
- You can send and print images straight from your mobile phone or tablet.
- The lights blink when cartridge has been place correctly.
- The quality of image is excellent.
- Customer service and care is outstanding.
Things to Note When Applying Edible Prints to Cakes
- If the weather is hot, place printed fondants in the freezer for a few minutes, before using it, so that the image is not stretched out of proportion.
- If the weather is too cold, then warm the printed fondant sheet between your hands with waxed or baking paper, between your hands and the fondant sheet. This ensures print to be pliable enough to stick on to the cake without cracking.
- Make sure that the cake is at room temperature and quite dry to the touch, before pasting the printed fondant sheet on to, the top.
- Removing the edible paper may get a little sticky, but if you use a sharp knife to scale it off the backing paper (as if filleting a fish) then the fondant will be easier to remove.
- Rather than wet the fondant sheet with water, I suggest using a little buttercream so that it is not wet and the colors won’t run.
- Once they are topped with edible printing, do not store your cakes, in the fridge, this will make the fondant sweat with condensation. It is best to keep them in a dry shaded place, inside a paper box.
- Cut printed shapes out while they are stuck to the backing paper before removing and sticking onto cakes.
- Feed the edible paper/fondant straight to get the best alignment and to avoid the paper being scrunched in the process (another waste of product!)
Cleaning and Maintenance
Not all items or products last forever, and cleaning your edible printer after each use, with the proper cleaning products and services supplied by IcingInks, will ensure longevity and quality results.
My Personal Review
Now that I have told you all the benefits, of having an IcingInks Professional Printer, I would now like to share with you why I gave it a rating of
9.5 out of 10.
There are pros and cons to this product and it is only fair that you should know, so before you go and open your purse, hear me out, so that you can make an intelligent and informed decision, rather than an impulsive one, based on my positive review.
Pros and Cons
You may notice, from the table below, that the cons are low, compared to the pros, but it is still important that you factor these in, when considering any product, and before making any purchase.
Sometimes the ink cartridges will get stuck when being removed. This is understandable – with all the sugar being utilised. However, this happens only randomly and on rare occassions. It is a matter of being patient. Remove, clean then replace it again.
Another issue is, that once an image is printed you cannot correct it and this can be a waste of products, as well as being costly.
Despite these small issues with the product, IcingInks products and services are of high quality and is one of the top brands in anything to to do with edible printing, whether it is for printers, inks, edible paper, edible cleaning products and even edible printing software.
The added guarantee of a life time customer service from IcingInks, is a given hallmark to their brand, and not to mention the extra items they include. This is the reason why, I trust and prefer their edible printer package above any other.
Hopefully my product review has supplied you, with enough information to help you, make a better judgement, on whether, the IcingInks Professional Edible Printer Package, is right for you or not.
However, I do have to say this, that with all the good reasons, that I have written so far, surely, you have to admit, it is a darn good product to own, for your Cake Artistry.
Also, imagine this: your decorated cakes will be the new rave among your family and friends…but, only if you don’t share your “dirty little secret” of course! ? Shhhh… (wink).
Feel free, to leave a comment about your own experience with this product, and whether it was beneficial to you, or not.
If you have any questions or other concerns about my product review then, I am more than happy for you, to email me personally, and I will endeavor to respond to you, as soon, as I can.
See you again, in my next post.