If you have a successful little cake artistry business at home, it is a good idea to have as many quality working tools for your different cake decorating mediums and techniques, as possible.
Why? do you ask…
… Because, the more you become popular, the more your business will grow, and the more quality of techniques will be required. Not only this, but people have so much access to information these days that they see an image of something that they like and will come to you expecting you to create something very similar to what they saw on a magazine, at a wedding, on social media, or even a celebrity’s fan page.
A lot of my orders are visual images sent to my messenger from potential customers asking if I am able to do this or that. Guess what my answer is always going to be? YES!
Again, why? you ask…
Every potential customer can become a regular customer, and if you say, NO – guess what? these customers can go down the road and get someone else who will say, YES.
But… You may think…what if I do not have the right tools or skills…
Ahem…doh!..that is exactly what I am trying to say here…get the skills (either online or learn from anything, heck my posts have given you so much information already) and buy the right tools.
Today, I am going to share one of those tools. A tool that I had mentioned in my most recent post.
It is the craft paper cutting machine.
The one I will focus on is the Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine, which I will do a product review for (this is the latest version of the first one; Brother CM350 ScanNCut 1), to show you the amazing things that can be created with this versatile product.
The Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon
Price: Click here for pricing
Shipping Costs: Extra if outside of US
Dimensions: 22.9 x 10.5 x 10.9 inches
Shipping Weight: 14 pounds
Category Selling Rank: Amazon’s Top 200 best-selling items in the Home Arts and Crafts category
Product Guarantee: Yes
My Rating: 10/10
- Extra Large 4.85″ Non-Glare Color LCD Touch Screen
- High Quality 300 DPI Built-in Scanner with RGB Recognition
- Larger 12″ x 12″ Scanning Area
- There are 631 Built-in Designs – and Includes 100 Applique Patterns
- It has 7 Built-in Fonts
- Includes Standard Cut Blade and Blade Holder
- Comes with instructions – operation manual and quick reference guide
- Software program – Scanncutcanvas (optional use – as machine can be used as a standalone)
Included In The Bundle
- A pouch with stylus pen (for the screen), blades, and small spatula
- Black and red pens with holder for the drawing modem
- AC power adapter
- A scan and cut mat
- Rhinestone trial kit
- CD and Activation code for the Scanncutcanvas program
How to Use The Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine
Setting up is easy, you simply follow the instructions and turn on your machine, download software to PC and then you are good to go. The fact that it is wireless is even better, for experience and productivity.
Let The Fun Begin!
Okay, the fun part! I promise you will find this machine so versatile, probably more than any other product that I have used for cake decorations or for any other craft creating, I would like to add.
You can use prints from the internet (just make sure that you have rights to do so, though) and any images of your own (created on paint or photographed).
- Unicorn horns
- Wizard hat – or Cowboy hat as a 3D feature cake topper
- 2D/3D Flowers stuck cascading down the sides of a tiered cake
- Climbing Leaves
- Flower Petal Shapes to be sprinkled as part of a wedding table decor
- Edible Notes for customers, placed on cupcakes or desserts at a wedding
- A page with writing as part of a book shaped cake
- Shadows and shapes (I.e., cloud shapes, tree shapes, face shadows, Halloween ghosts, and Holiday themed shapes)
- Lace doilies for cake boards or cake displays
- Edible shapes for a cake board divider
- Edible lace
- Cut edible company logo shapes for your cakes
- Cut out shapes of numbers and letters for cakes
- Cut out shapes for Rainbows
Maintenance & Storage
Your machine can be stored in a cupboard within its box and brought out whenever you need it. It is easily maintained as long as you keep it away from dust and moist, it will keep for a very long time – until your next upgrade (if, that is, you are an avid craft maker, always looking for the next best thing).
Is The Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine Only for Cake Decorating?
No, by all means, you can practically use this machine for anything else you want to cut, here are a few examples:
- Create lovely scalloped edgings for table mats
- Create stencils out of thin plastic for your edible cake laces
- Use for cutting themed shapes into plain serviettes for dinner guests
- Create nice fabric doilies
- Create fun shapes to enjoy sticking into scrap books with your children
- Create lovely themed hanging decorations for a baby shower, Christmas dinner etc.
- Shaped food coverings
- Lovely Wall paper art for your children’s bedrooms
- Lovely plastic window stick on (I use large butterfly shapes for my car windows to keep my kids shaded from the burning NZ sun)
- Create your business logo shapes
- Any 3D projects (flower girls or bride’s bouquet)
- T-shirt prints/designs/logos
- Fabric appliques for cushions, clothes, shoes, pet clothes, blankets, quilts, table cloths, baby bibs etc.
- Stuffed animal toy shapes to be sewn together
The Brother CM350 ScanNCut1 versus The Brother CM350 ScanNCut2
Remember that I had mentioned at the top, that this is the latest version (second) of the Brother CM350 ScanNCut 1, Home & Hobby Cutting Machine.
This second version is said by many to have been an improvement to version 1. Let’s have a look at the comparison table below:
Overall we can see, that, the Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine, is a much improved version, than its first edition.
However, we shall have a look at the pros and cons of the Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine itself.
What customers say may not match its performance so we shall have a look below at my researched information.
Pros and Cons of Using The Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine
There are pros and cons to every product ever produced, which means that even something as versatile and in my opinion, very useful for my decorating cakes, can still be difficult to understand or use – especially if you are new to using cutters.
This simplified table is information gathered from my internet research and so it is a general evaluation that will helpfully give you an overview of whether it is something you would get or not. Don’t worry even if you don’t want this, because at the end I will give you an option for a beginner’s alternative.
So, here are the pros and cons, which I found in my research:
Why I have Given The Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine A High Rating
I have given this product a 10/10 rating, only because I use it solely for my cake decorations and the pros and cons have no effect on the product outcome of my cakes as a whole.
Yeah, I know, but that’s my personal rating anyway, however, if you choose to use this product for other mediums and purposes, then yes your rating could come out quite different.
It is a decision that each customer will have to make on their own.
What About A Craft Cutting Machine For Beginners
Yes, I did promise to give you that option and the best alternative is to just purchase an easy to use basic bundle that will give you a lot to practice with before getting a much larger one like the professional Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2.
The alternative that I suggest is this small bundle mentioned in my previous post about edible wafer paper.
It is called the Bira Craft Cutter:
This little bundle costs much less and will give you much joy.
It is simple to use and there are no added tech stuff to worry about – and the good news is, it can still cut your edible wafer papers, and help you to still create your gorgeous cake decorations, within your budget.
In my humble opinion, you need to constantly up-skill when you run your own cake decorating home business, only because the competition is now the world of social media and internet information that customers have access to.
Not only do you need to up-skill via online courses but also in obtaining the most efficient tools to use for your cake artistry. The product review I just gave is an optional tool that not only gives you fantastic cake decorating ideas, but is versatile in its use with other mediums and home crafts.
The Brother CM350 ScanNCut 2 Home & Hobby Cutting Machine, will give you quality and productivity, when using edible wafer paper.
I hope that my article today will encourage you to get yourself the best craft cutting tool on the market for your cake artistry home business.
If you have any questions about this product or would like to add your own experience with it, then please leave me a comment in which I can respond.